Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Round the World Adventure

My Round the World Adventure


Airline Review: American Airlines

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 11:10 AM PST

american airlines tailNorth American airlines always rank among the worst in the world. In any survey, Asian and Middle Eastern airline are always among the top 10 airlines in the world. But as an American, it's easier for me to join the frequent flier program of an American carrier because I can get a branded credit card and rack up miles. We have four major choices: American Airlines, United, Delta, and US Airways. (Continental doesn't count because it merged with United).

Out of those four, I stick with American Airlines because they have the best customer service, a good frequent flier program, and friendly staff.

The flying experience on American Airlines is a lot better than other American airlines, and their planes are nicer too. American Airlines fleet may be a bit old (all the carriers are), but they still have a nice interior and their newer model planes are really good. The AA 767-300, for example, is pretty good. It's their newer model and is a bit more spacious. The AA 767-200 is nice and it includes wi-fi. Unfortunately, like most American carriers, AA doesn't offer personal television screens in the back of the seats on any of their continental flights. (I’m not even sure they have them internationally). Qantas flights from Sydney to Perth have personal screens, as does a two-hour flight on Eva Air flight, but you can forget about personal screens on continental flights in the US. I'd be more upset about this if AA was the only airline that did this, but every major American carrier does it with the exception of Jetblue and Virgin America. Even when I get upgraded to a better class, there are still no screens. This bothers me to no end. I don’t think there’s an excuse for not having personal screens in 2010.

Televisions aside, what keeps me flying with American Airlines is the service and their loyalty program. AA's frequent flier program has better perks and rewards than its major competitor, United. You can forget about delta too, since Skyteam only has a few airline partners. While Star Alliance has more carriers, United (the major US Star Alliance partner) has an awful redemption policy. They don't offer as many perks on lower elite status levels and their upgrade policy isn't as good. Moreover, it takes more points to redeem your flights. I like American and, if the flight isn't full, I'm automatically bumped up to the next class. Plus flights can be redeemed starting at 12,500 miles.

The main reason I like American is because they have better service. I've found their ground staff to be good, and their flight attendants are more accommodating than other airlines. If I oversleep and miss a meal or they run out of something, they usually give me a left over meal or some free alternatives. Plus, they usually pour me a stiff drink when I ask. They aren't as grouchy as staff from other airlines and that makes a big difference.

But what really sealed the deal with American was an incident that happened a few weeks ago. I participated in the American Airlines challenge, which meant getting 10,000 points in three months for Platinum status. The booking code I had for my flight to Sydney should have qualified me for platinum status, but a Qantas desk agent messed up when I checked in and I didn't get my points. I accumulated regular miles, but it didn't count towards the challenge. Needless to say, I was quite upset and I called AA to complain. I also tweeted about my experience with them. A few days later, I received an email stating that they would give me platinum status because I had bought the ticket in good faith. They thanked me for my loyalty and now I have elite status on American. Last year, United broke a guy's guitar and even after the guy made a viral video of it, they barely did anything. American Airlines seems to have learned a lesson from that incident.

So while AA's planes are only slightly better than the rest and they still don't TV screens in the head rests, at least they have good staff and better service than the rest of the carriers. At the end of the day, we use companies because we not only like their products, but also their staff. It's the people that make the companies. And I like the folks at American.

©Nomadic Matt's Travel Site. Looking for travel deals, news, and tips? Sign up for my bi-monthly newsletter! You'll get all the deals, tips, and advice I can't squeeze into a blog!

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment